Olympic ESD is thrilled to announce South Kitsap’s Shannon Lund as the recipient of the 2024 Olympic ESD 114 Regional Teacher of the Year. OESD 114 Superintendent Aaron Leavell honored Shannon at South Kitsap’s School Board Meeting on September 20, 2023.
A Decade of Impactful Teaching
For over a decade, Shannon Lund has been an inspiration in the lives of countless students. Currently serving as a fifth-grade teacher at Mullenix Ridge in South Kitsap School District, Shannon’s contributions extend far beyond the classroom. She is a respected leader among her peers, an integral member of the school’s leadership team, and an essential part of the district’s Math Curriculum and English Language Arts adoption teams.
One of Shannon’s exceptional initiatives is the Homework Club, an after-school program where students receive additional support with their assignments while developing crucial lifelong learning skills. Furthermore, she generously volunteers her time in the Publisher’s after-school club, nurturing students’ writing abilities.
Shannon Lund’s journey in education has been marked by excellence:
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Western Washington University in 2011.
- Awarded the Western Washington University’s Bertha Crawford Outstanding Student Teacher Award in 2011.
- Received the Multicultural Education Award from the Center for Education Equity and Diversity during her college years.
- Recognized with a South Kitsap School District award in 2013 for her dedication to nurturing growth and inspiring achievement.
- Honored as the Masonic Outstanding Educator in 2017 for Mullenix Ridge Elementary School.
Words of Praise
Barbara Pixton, Shannon’s principal, speaks glowingly of her teaching prowess: “Shannon is a very impressive teacher who develops lasting relationships with each student in her classroom. She teaches curiosity and models good listening skills, inspiring students to help one another. Shannon’s commitment to reflection and continuous improvement is remarkable.”
A parent of one of Shannon’s students shared their admiration: “Shannon is an outstanding educator who can reach students of all backgrounds and motivate them to believe in their goals. Her energy and passion for learning are infectious. The field of education needs more leaders like Shannon who leave a lasting impression on students and families while making learning an enjoyable journey.”
We are honored to celebrate your achievements. Thank you for being an exceptional educator and a shining example in our community.