Family Involvement and Support Resources
In addition to many other ways to be involved in your child’s education, one of the ways that Head Start/ECEAP/Early Head Start includes families is to be involved in Policy Council; a formal meeting structure for families and community members.
We believe that family involvement and leadership are crucial to the success of our Head Start, Early Head Start, and ECEAP programs. Policy Council is the key decision and policy-making body for our Early Learning program.
Policy Council representatives, who are elected by their respective sites, work together with program administrators and the the Olympic Educational Service District 114's Board of Directors to make the decisions that directly affect children and families. Policy Council members participate in program planning and development, and approve all personnel and budget recommendations. Policy Council members include:
- Parents of currently enrolled children
- Parents who have had a child in the program in previous years
- Community agency representatives drawn from organizations that provide services, support, and/or resources to the families we serve
Establishing a Policy Council in each Head Start agency in the United States is a federal requirement of the federal Head Start Performance Standards. Establishing a Policy Council in each ECEAP agency in the state of Washington is a state requirement of the state ECEAP Performance Standards. The purpose of Policy Council is:
- To create an organized way for program parents/guardians/grandparents and community representatives to provide input into Olympic ESD 114 Head Start/ECEAP/Early Head Start early childhood programs; and
- To partner with staff and Olympic ESD 114 Board of Directors and Administration to share in decisions regarding overall program planning and operations as described in the Head Start Performance Standard
Become a Substitute in Head Start/ECEAP/Early Head Start - for more information, call 360.478.6889
Family Support Resources
There are many resources available to families throughout our county. For a list of resources and their contact information click Family Support Resources.