Earth & Space Science - 2
Pebbles, Sand, and Silt
The Pebbles, Sand, and Silt Module consists of four sequential investigations, each designed to introduce concepts in earth science. The investigations provide experiences that heighten students' awareness of rocks as earth materials and natural resources. They will come to know rocks by many names and in a variety of sizes. Pebbles and sand are the same material, just different sizes.
FOSS EXPECTS STUDENTS TO
- Develop a curiosity and interest in the physical world around them.
- Observe, describe, and sort earth materials based on properties.
- Separate earth materials by size, using different techniques.
- Observe the similarities and differences in the materials in a river rock mixture: silt, sand, gravel, and small and large pebbles.
- Explore places where earth materials are found and ways that earth materials are used.
- Compare the ingredients in different soils.
- Organize and communicate observations through drawing and writing.
- Acquire the vocabulary associated with earth materials.